Snack-time teacake. Simple espresso chocolate teacake.
- 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup Butter, soft at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plain Yogurt or Curd or Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Espresso Powder or 1 Tablespoon prepared Coffee
- a pinch of Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 and 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- a splash of Milk or Water (if required)
- Preheat oven to 160 C (320 F). Preheat to 140 C or 150 C (300 F) if using a convection oven.
- Grease and line a cake tin.
- Cream together butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes till you have a smooth and creamy mixture.
- Add some yogurt and espresso powder or prepared coffee and mix well.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well to form a smooth and lump-free batter. If the batter is too thick, add some milk or water and mix well to form an easy batter. Don’t overmix or you will end up with a tough bread-like consistency.
- Pour the batter into a prepared cake tin. Bake at 160 C for 25-30 minutes or until the cake is well done. To check if it is cooked, insert a toothpick or dry piece of spaghetti in the center of the cake. If it comes out smooth without leaving any wet batter, it is done.
- Let the cake cool. Remove it from the tin and slice it into squares.
- Enjoy with some coffee or tea or as is!
- Category: Dessert