For the Rice
- 1 cup Long Grained Rice
- 1 and 1/2 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable Oil
For Garlic Fried Rice
- 3–4 cups Cooked Rice (from above)
- 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Teriyaki Sauce / Chilli Sauce / Schezwan Sauce (whichever you have on hand)
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 2 teaspoons Butter (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 12–15 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup Onions, finely chopped (preferably the white bulb of spring onions)
- 1 cup Bell Peppers / Capsicum, finely chopped (preferably green bell peppers)
- 1 cup Cabbage / Lettuce, grated finely
- 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to your taste)
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- If you want to keep things simple, skip veggies and just make plain Garlic Rice
- You can use ANY kind of rice you want to make this garlic fried rice. If the rice is leftover from last night or not warm, just heat it up before making this
To cook parboiled rice
- Wash the rice well. In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil and add the rice. Saute for a minute or so until the rice dries out
- Add salt & mix well. Add water & let it come to a boil
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes (Do not overcook the rice. The grains have to be separate)
- Fluff up the rice. Let it cool completely.
- You can even store this in refrigerator for use the next day. Just warm up before using
Making the garlic fried rice
- Start off by mixing water, vinegar, soy sauce and chilli sauce. Set aside for further use.
- Heat up butter, oil and chopped garlic in a large wok / pan with high sides on medium heat. Let the garlic infuse into the oil. In 1 – 2 minutes, you’ll start seeing that the garlic starts to turn brown.
- Then add the chopped up onions & bell peppers. Let them fry on high heat for 1-2 minutes or until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the mixed sauces to the pan and cook on high heat for 2 minutes. Let the sauce reduce completely.
- Add the grated cabbage / lettuce and mix well. Let the veggies fry on high heat for 1 minute or until cabbage turns slightly tender.
- Add salt and pepper & mix well.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well with the veggies. Don’t break up the rice. Fry on high heat for a couple minutes.Taste & adjust for seasonings.
- Switch off the flame & serve hot!