Quick, spongy grilled whole-wheat pita bread recipe
- 1 and 1/4 cup Whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/3 cup Lukewarm Water (adjust as required)
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast (*or 1 teaspoon Instant yeast)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- To lukewarm water, add sugar, yeast and mix well. Let the yeast froth up for 2 minutes.
- Then add the whole-wheat flour. Mix to form a smooth, lump-free batter.
- Cover and let the bowl rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes. You will notice air bubbles start to form in the batter.
- Add oil and mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour, salt and mix till it comes together.
- Knead to form a soft, smooth dough. Form a smooth ball of dough, oil it well and place it back in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 1-1.5 hours or till it doubles in size.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and roll into neat balls.
- Roll each ball of dough into a 1/4 inch thick circle.
- Place it on a griddle or a grill pan (preferably non-stick).
- Cook on both sides on medium heat for 4-5 minutes each or until the pita bread is fully cooked through.
- Prepare the rest of the pita breads in the same way.
- Use as required.
- Store in the fridge in an air tight container for 3 days. Warm the pita breads before serving
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern