Crunchy, easy & healthy homemade granola, sweetened with honey and loaded with the goodness of oats, almonds, raisins and flax seeds!
Here’s a lesser known fact about me.
I ❤️ Breakfast.
Every morning, within 15-20 minutes of waking up, my tummy does this weird rambling noise – telling me its time to fill fuel again… and I just love it! And you know what’s a good thing to do when your body craves for fuel in the morning? Feed it good, healthy things like this homemade granola…. just so that it would help kick start the day with renewed energy and zest. And what’s even better about this is that you can get away with throwing in a bunch of healthy ingredients together, toss it with honey or maple syrup, bake it and call it your very own brand of homemade granola! So save your money on cereal / muesli and make this at home!
Because this is homemade, you can try a million combinations to see what flavors you like the best! Not only is it a great breakfast option for adults, but the kids would love it too!
This granola has everything required for nourishing your kids’ daily nutrition needs. There is no denying the fact that these days, milk is more like water and vegetables hardly retain their nutrients by the time they reach your kitchen. Due to a unhealthy lifestyle, we (and most importantly, our children) are falling prey to all kinds of illness. Growing up, I had a pretty bad immune system – falling sick every month or so. Not only did it upset my schedule, but it also meant the entire house was gloomy and sick-ish! It is obvious right? If kid falls sick, how can a parent eat a burger? I repeatedly saw my mom giving up treats for my well being. Only when I was fully okay would my mom let us all indulge again. It is as if the happiness of our home is dependent on a child’s happiness! 🙂
My point being – nutrition is of utmost importance for a growing child. You’ve got to start thinking of innovative and affordable ways to re-introduce macro nutrients in your kid’s diet too. Not only have I seen my hunger pangs being in check all day, but I also find my immunity increasing by consuming the granola. I like to call it my “secret-medicine”… one that builds up your immunity, muscles and keeps you healthy forever!… Speaking off a secret medicine, I vividly remember my mom force-feeding Dabur Chawanprash everyday for building immunity! I voluntarily enjoy that these days! 😉
- 2 cups Rolled Oats (old fashioned)
- 1 cup Wheat germs / Cereal germ (optional)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/3 cup Flax seeds
- 5–6 Walnuts, chopped
- 5–6 Cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped Almonds
- 1/3 cup dried Cranberries / Raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutemeg
- a pinch of Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons Oil (vegetable or coconut)
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup or Honey
- Grease a baking sheet and line with aluminum foil (for easy removal). Preheat oven to 150 C.
- In a mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients (except raisins / cranberries / dry fruits) and mix.
- Pour the oil and maple syrup / honey.
- Mix well. Make sure all the ingredients are coated in the maple syrup.
- Dump the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread it out to an even thin layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and stir and layer again to prevent burning. Repeat twice. Bake for total of 40 minutes.
- Allow granola to cool in the baking sheet for 10-15 minutes. This is make it crunchier.
- Add it back to the mixing bowl. Add chopped dry fruits and mix well.
- Cover tightly and store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks or in fridge for a month.
Homemade Granola Recipe – step by step pictures
Stuff I used –
Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl & give it a mix
Pour the honey / maple syrup and oil. Mix well to ensure all ingredients are well coated
In a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, dump the mixture and spread it in one even layer.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, removing every 10 minutes & stirring to avoid burning. Let it cool completely.