How to cook Quinoa
Here’s a quick tutorial + tips on how to cook quinoa at home – fluffy, tasty lump-free quinoa!
Quinoa (read – keen-vaa) – a seed rich in protein has come a long way from featuring in health magazines to mainstream cooking. Like it or not, quinoa is a super food that people love to use not just because it is rich in protein, it is also gluten free. It’s delicate, fluffy texture has made it a healthier substitute to starchy rice or pasta. It is one of the fastest cooking lunch staples ever.
I must admit though that I didn’t fall instantly in love with it. But I soon realized the plethora of ways in which I could use this miracle food and get all the health benefits. And I have never looked back since. Here’s how to cook quinoa at home!
How to cook Quinoa – printable recipe
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups Water *
- a pinch of Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- * Water – Quinoa ratio – Depends on the type of quinoa you’re using. Refer to package instructions to see exact water required to cook your quinoa
- Time required to cook quinoa – anywhere between 15-20 minutes
- 1 cup dry Quinoa yields around 3 cups of cooked Quinoa
- Wash quinoa extremely well for 1-2 minutes. This makes it clean as well as gets rid of the bitter flavor
- In a pan with high sides, heat up the oil and add the rinsed & drained Quinoa. Saute it for 2-3 minutes or until the quinoa has dried out.
- Add the salt and water and mix well. Let the water come to a boil
- Cover the pan with a lid, reduce heat to a minimum and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and keep it covered for another 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid, fluff the quinoa gently with a fork, and serve. (You should see tiny spirals (the germ) separating from and curling around the quinoa seeds.)
- Why rinse quinoa? – Rinsing removes quinoa’s natural coating, called saponin, which can make it taste bitter or soapy. Although boxed quinoa is often pre-rinsed, it doesn’t hurt to give the seeds an additional rinse at home.
- Some people like to add olive oil, butter, salt, or pepper. Cooked quinoa can also be used as the basis for pilafs, salads, breakfast porridges, and more.
** Buy good quality Quinoa and follow the package instructions.
How to cook quinoa – step by step pictures
Make sure you wash your quinoa extremely well – for 1-2 minutes. This gets rid of the bitter flavor.
Heat oil in a pan with high sides and add the quinoa to it. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until the quinoa dries out a bit.
Add salt & water and mix well. Let the water come to a boil
Cover the pan, reduce to lowest heat and let it cook for 10-12 minutes. (or as per your package instructions)
Fluff up with a fork. Let it cool a bit and use as required.
Other tutorials you must know –
For regular updates, subscribe via Email or follow on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram!