2 cups Whole Urad Dal
Alternative names for the Urad Dal – Uluttham Paruppu., Whole Dehusked Black Lentil
- Ensure that the lentils (urad dal) are stone / dirt / debris free.
- Dry roast in a skillet on medium heat. Keep stirring ocassionally to avoid lentils from burning
- In 5-10 minutes, you’ll start to notice a strong aroma starting to emit from the dal. Stir till the dal turns golden red. Switch off the flame and let the dal cool completely
- Add to a completely dry food processor. Grind it to a super-fine powder in your food processor.
- Your Urad Dal flour is ready! However, for the best result, use a fine seive to sift the flour through it. Catch any lumps or dal pieces that aren’t fine.
- You can grind them again (to not waste the dal!). And pass through the seive again.
- Let the urad dal flour cool completely.
- Add to an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator upto 3 months.
- Use as required.
Grinding the dal will take longer than wet ingredients. This may tend to heat the food processor (due to continuous overuse). Make sure to stop as needed to give it time to rest!
- Category: DIY
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: homemade urad dal flour, how to make urad dal flour