- 5 cups Idli Rice
- 1 cup Urad Dal (split black lentil)
- 1 Tbsp Salt (or as required)
- Wash and soak the uncooked rice for 5-8 hours or overnight. DO not over soak or it may spoil the rice
- Soak the Urad Dal for 1-2 hours.
- In the grinder (or blender), add the Urad Dal with enough water to make it into a smooth, sticky batter. It takes around 20 minutes. Remove into a large container & set aside.
- Add the rice with enough water to make it into a smooth batter. It takes around 30-40 minutes in a grinder
- Add the rice batter to the previously ground Urad Dal paste.
- Add salt and mix well. The batter should be of pouring consistency. If not, add water to make it so.
- Cover and let it sit in a warm spot for 5-8 hours to let the batter ferment. It will rise in volume.
- Refrigerate it until use.
- Cuisine: south Indian