Khajur Imli ki Chutney | Sweet Chutney
This is an indispensable part of so many Indian dishes like Samosa Chat, Sev Puri, Ragda Patties, Pani Puri etc etc etc… In short, we use this for so many snack items that it would be foolish not to make it & store it! 😀 This keeps well in the refrigerator for over a month!
Tamarind (Imli) Paste – 1 cup
Deseeded Dates finely chopped (Khajur) – 1 cup
Jaggery grated (Gud) – 1 cup (if you don’t have or want to use jaggery, you can use sugar too)
Water – 1 cup (or as required)
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder – 1-2 teaspoons
Cumin Powder – 1 teaspoon
Ginger Powder – 1 teaspoon
Chaat Masala – 1-2 tablespoons
Vegetable Oil – 1 teaspoon
1. Check to see that the seeds of Dates and Tamarind are removed.
2. Immerse them together in about half a cup of warm water for 5 minutes.
3. Put them into a blender/ mixer and grind them to a somewhat smooth paste.
4. Add in the broken/grated jaggery and again grind it until you get a fine paste.
5. In a pan, head about 1 teaspoon of Veg. oil
6. Add in the cumin powder, chilli powder, Chaat Masala, Ginger Powder, Salt and sauté for about half a minute.
7. Add the Tamarind-Dates paste to it & keep boiling the mixture. If it is too thick, add another half a cup of water & keep stirring it until it forms a thick paste.
8. Remove from the flame, let it cool & store it in the refrigerator.
9. When you want to use the paste for garnishing, take a small amount in a cup, add water according to the required pouring consistency & use it!
** the cups can be of any size. Just keep the proportion!