You can have this south Indian style lemon rice with any curry; but it is also great on its own!
South Indians have an undying relationship with Rice. We love it despite all the notoriety it has gained over the years. I certainly don’t preach eating high carbs all the time; but it is hard to think of barley or quinoa when we’ve been growing up on rice. At the end of the day, if we’re all eating what we’ve been eating since childhood whilst maintaining an active lifestyle, I really don’t think a little rice could do so much damage to your health.
Lemon Rice is one such quick one pot meal that is very common and popular in the South Indian households. I bet every family makes this in their own way. The citrus-y flavored rice tempered with classic south Indian ingredients like asafetida and mustard is a great lunch box option as well. Here’s how easy it is to put together our lemon rice –
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
- 1/2 Lemon Wedge (use more if you want a tangier rice)
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil (preferably sesame oil – nalla ennai)
- 1/5 cup Roasted Peanuts (remove peels if you want)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal (split black gram)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Green chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Hing Powder (asafetida)
- 1 tablespoon Curry Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Spread out the rice on a plate. Add 1 tablespoon oil and mix well. Let it cool completely
- Meanwhile, in a pan heat rest of the oil. Add mustard seeds. When that splutters, add cumin and urad dal too. Fry for 20 seconds or till urad dal turns lightly brown.
- Add curry leaves, hing and turmeric powder to the oil and let it fry for 10 seconds.
- Add the hot oil to the rice along with the roasted peanuts and salt and mix well without breaking up the rice
- Squeeze lemon over the rice and mix well. Cover and let it rest for 1-2 hours to let the flavors intensify.
- Serve as is or with chips or stir fried veggies
South Indian Lemon Rice – step by step pictorial
You’ll need –
Cook rice and let it cool. Spread it out and add some oil and mix well.
Heat oil. Add mustard seeds. When that splutters, add the urad dal and cumin seeds and fry until urad dal is lightly brown
Add green chilli, curry leaves, hing powder and turmeric powder to the oil and let it fry for 30 seconds.
Add it to the rice along with roasted peanuts and mix well without breaking up the rice
Other One Pot Rice Dishes you will love —>