Easy & Healthy South Indian Lentil Salad with toasted Coconuts.
Today I’m going to show you exactly how easy it is to put together a salad.
Ha-Ha! Like you already didn’t know that.
But you see, making salads is not about cutting a few veggies and tossing them together. It’s about finding that perfect blend of flavors and crunchiness whilst maintaining the original taste of the base itself. Take this Lentil Salad for example. On its own, the lentils are fine – no biggie. But toss them together with some toasted coconuts and you have yourself the world’s best Indian flavored Lentil Salad. 😉
Lentil Salad Recipe | Chanda Dal / Kadala Paruppu Sundal
Soak the lentils in water for 30 minutes – 1 hour until it plumps up. Boil in water for 10-15 minutes until it is soft and still has a bite.
In a pan, heat the oil & add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the chilli, asafetida & curry leaves
Add the drained out lentils to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes till the water evaporates. Season with salt
Add the grated coconut and mix well
Let it saute for 2-3 minutes or until the coconut has a delicate toasty flavor
Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 1 cup Split Bengal Gram (Chana Dal / Kadalai Paruppu)
- Water, as required
- 2 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Hing powder (Asafetida)
- 2 Green Chilli (Slit length-wise)
- 2 Tablespoons Curry leaves, roughly torn
- 3–4 Tablespoons grated Coconut (fresh or thawed)
- 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- Soak the lentils in water for 30 minutes – 1 hour until it plumps up. Drain water, fill the pan with water covering the lentils & boil for 10-15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked (soft yet have a bite to them)
- In a pan, heat the oil & add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the chilli, hing (asafetida) & curry leaves. Fry for 30 seconds
- Add the drained out cooked lentils to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes till the water evaporates. Season with salt.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well. Let it saute for 2-3 minutes or until the coconut has a delicate toasty flavor
- Serve warm or at room temperature.