- 1 cup Split Bengal Gram (Chana Dal / Kadalai Paruppu)
- Water, as required
- 2 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Hing powder (Asafetida)
- 2 Green Chilli (Slit length-wise)
- 2 Tablespoons Curry leaves, roughly torn
- 3–4 Tablespoons grated Coconut (fresh or thawed)
- 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- Soak the lentils in water for 30 minutes – 1 hour until it plumps up. Drain water, fill the pan with water covering the lentils & boil for 10-15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked (soft yet have a bite to them)
- In a pan, heat the oil & add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the chilli, hing (asafetida) & curry leaves. Fry for 30 seconds
- Add the drained out cooked lentils to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes till the water evaporates. Season with salt.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well. Let it saute for 2-3 minutes or until the coconut has a delicate toasty flavor
- Serve warm or at room temperature.