Delicately spiced traditional Maharashtrian Masala Bhaat using the aromatic basmati rice
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 teaspoon Dry Coriander Seeds (dhania)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Black Peppercorns (kali mirch)
- 2 Dry Red Chill (sookha laal mirch)
- 1/4 cup Coconut (preferably desiccated coconut)
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 4 Cloves (laung)
- 1 Bay Leaf (tej patta)
- 1 Star anise (optional) (chakra phool)
- 1/4 inch Cinnamon stick (daalchini)
- 1 cup Mixed Veggies (Onion, Carrot, Capsicum, Brinjal, Ivy Gourd, Green Peas)
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Maharashtrian Goda Masala (optional – use Garam Masala if you don’t have this)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Coriander Leaves (dhania patta)
- 2 cups Water (adjust as per rice you’re using)
- Wash the Basmati rice well and soak it in water for around 30 minutes. Soaking helps the rice to cook faster.
- Dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and dried red chilli until you get a nice aroma (for around 1 minute on medium heat). Add them to a food processor. Dry roast some coconut and add it to the food processor. Add some water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a pan with high sides. Add the cinnamon, star anise, cloves, bay leaf and chilli and fry for a minute. Add the veggies and fry for 3-4 minutes or until they’ve turned translucent.
- Add the coconut paste, goda masala and turmeric powder to the veggies and mix well. Fry on medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until the coconut paste has cooked and dried up a little. You’re looking for the raw smell to go away.
- Drain out all the water from the Basmati rice and add it to the pan. Mix well and fry for a couple of minutes. Add salt and mix well.
- Add water and mix well. Taste the water and adjust for salt, if required. Put the flame on low heat, close the pan with a lid and cook for 12-15 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
- Open the lid and add some chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve with a bowl of cool plain yogurt for a complete meal.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Indian