A quick roasted snack, this Masala Bhel or Murmura Chivda is a perfect tea-time snack for those lazy afternoons!
One of my favorite ways to spend rainy afternoons is lazing around with a hot cup of masala chai and this masala bhel! Or better yet, pull up a nice movie on my projector and pop these in like I would popcorn in a movie theatre.
Surprisingly, we discovered this snack on a random weekend of deep-frying. We had a few tablespoons of oil leftover in the wok and we just threw in a bunch of spices and some leftover murmura from when we made bhel puri. The result? A crunchy and delicious chivda-like snack that we decided to call masala bhel!
Another thing great about this recipe is that it is low-calorie, vegan and gluten-free! Here’s a quick video tutorial on how to make this delicious spicy garlic murmura or puffed rice –Print
Spicy and crunchy masala bhel for a healthy afternoon or late-night snack! Puffed rice (murmura) is roasted with some garlic and chilli until it is crunchy.
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup Dry Red Chilli, roughly torn
- 1/4 cup Garlic Cloves, roughly mashed
- 1/2 cup fresh Curry Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (haldi)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to taste)
- 4 to 5 cups of Murmura (Puffed Rice)
- In a large wok, heat the oil
- Add dry red chilli and garlic and fry for 1 minute
- Add the curry leaves and fry until leaves are crisp
- Add turmeric powder, salt and mix
- Add Murmura or the puffed rice and mix well with the oil mixture
- Saute on medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until the puffed rice is crispy
- Taste and adjust for seasoning
- Enjoy as a snack!
- Let the murmura cool completely
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature
- This stays well for up to 2 weeks
- Category: Snack
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: masala bhel, masala murmura, murmura chivda, crispy puffed rice,
This is one of my latest obsessions! As I burn the midnight oil, trying to complete schoolwork and keeping up with assignments, I find myself getting hungry and craving all sorts of snack foods! This murmura chivda is one of those healthier alternatives to processed products like biscuits, cookies, chips, and so on. 🙂
If you liked this healthy and delicious masala bhel (murmurs chivda), do leave a comment down below with your thoughts! ? You can also have my recipes delivered to your inbox or follow me on social media – YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or TikTok.
Until next time,