Iyengar bakery style masala khara buns recipe
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Instant Yeast (refer note 1)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Flax Seeds (alsi)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds (til)
- 1 cup fresh Chopped Mint Leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Onions
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1/4 cup Warm Water
- 1/4 cup plain Yogurt or Buttermilk (refer note 2)
- Vegetable Oil – to grease the pan
- Semolina or Cornmeal – to grease the pan
Note 1 – Yeast
- If you don’t have instant yeast, use active dry yeast. And proof it before you add it to the mix. Here, you will mix sugar with warm water and add the active dry yeast to the water and let it foam up for 2 minutes. Then add to the flour mixture along with other wet ingredients
Note 2 – Buttermilk or Buttermilk Substitute
- You can use store bought buttermilk. Or add add 1 teaspoon Vinegar to ½ cup milk. Mix and well and let it curdle for 20-30 minutes. Use this for the recipe.
- Mix together flour, yeast, salt, sugar, mint leaves, chopped onions, cumin seeds, flax seeds and sesame seeds. Make sure everything is well distributed.
- Add oil, warm water and yogurt or buttermilk substitute and mix well.
- Knead by hand for 20 minutes or electric whisk for 10 minutes to form a smooth dough. Oil the dough well and place it in a bowl.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let the dough rise for 1 hour or till it doubles in volume.
- Grease a baking pan. Add some semolina or cornmeal all over the pan. Preheat oven to 200 C 375 F
- Form equal-sized buns out of the dough and place it on the baking pan. Place them 1 or 2 inches away from each other.
- Cover the buns loosely with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm spot for 20-30 minutes. This lets the buns rise again.
- Brush the top with some melted butter.
- Bake in a 200 C preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the buns are fully cooked through.
- Remove and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy warm buns with some nice masala chai!
- You can store them in an air tight container for 2 days in the fridge. Warm for 20 seconds in the microwave before serving
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Indian