Mexican Red Lentil Soup
Mexican Food. It was inevitable. The Arroz Verde I tried was so simple and delicious that I couldn’t help but revisit Mexican Cuisine! 🙂 And I thought it’d be a good idea to post this right after the Main Course. So here’s a bowl full of goodness! 😉
It is funny how this is called as ‘soup’. If it were Indian, we would call this Dal and eat it as a side to the main course. In fact, I had the left over soup with some left over Arroz Verde and the combination was delicious! So it really is your choice. Traditionally, people have this as is. But no one is gonna kill you if you decided to pair it up with bread or any kind of rice! 😉
A lot of the spices were similar to Indian cuisine so I really had no trouble making the soup. However, it was the first time I was cooking with Red Lentils. We have never eaten Red Lentils (Masoor Dal) so I didn’t know how it would taste. I would prefer any lentil over these. But I gotta admit – once it got blended with other flavors, I really couldn’t spot any difference.
I cooked my lentils in the pressure cooker. That’s how we have always cooked our lentils and this one was no different. It was actually really easy. But if you have any other way of cooking them, I’d be happy to learn! 🙂 Let’s make some hot Mexican Soup!
Here’s what you’re gonna need –
Soak the lentils in water for 5 minutes. Its something my mom always does and so do I. Don’t ask me why! I don’t know! 😛
Cook the Red Lentils. As I mentioned, I did mine in the pressure cooker. You could just fill them up with water & boil for 20 minutes until they are cooked.
Heat oil in a wok and add the onions & garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
Add in the chopped bell peppers. You could also use celery here. Sauté for a minute.
Add in the crushed tomatoes. I didn’t have any so I diced them real nice and crushed with my hand! Pretty useful trick, if you ask me! 😉 Let that cook for a few minutes.
Add in the dry spices – Salt, Cumin Powder, Red Chilli Powder & Turmeric powder.
Mix well and cook for 5-6 minutes till the raw smell of the spices is gone.
Add in the water & let it come to a boil.
You could also add some chilli sauce for more heat
Add in your cooked lentils.
Mix well & let it come to a boil.
Garnish with parsley / cilantro leaves
Squeeze some lemon juice & Enjoy!
- 1 cup Red Lentils (masoor dal)
- 1 medium Onion; finely chopped
- 1 cup Bell Peppers; finely chopped (or use celery)
- 2 cups Crushed Tomatoes (or dice them really small)
- 1 TBsp minced Garlic
- 1 TBsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 TBsp Salt (adjust according to taste)
- 2 TBsp chopped Cilantro / Parsley leaves
- Fresh Lime
- Chilli Sauce
To cook the Lentils
- Wash the lentils.
- Fill them with enough water to cover.
- Cook in pressure cooker; OR
- Let it boil for 15-20 minutes or until they are soft & well cooked.
- Heat oil & sauté onion & garlic till the onions are translucent.
- Add bell peppers (or celery) and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes and let that cook for 5 minutes
- Add salt, cumin, chilli powder, turmeric powder, mix well and cook on medium low until the dry smell of spices is gone.
- Add 1 cup of water and let that come to a boil. Add Chilli sauce for extra heat.
- Add in the cooked lentils and mix well. Let that come to a boil.
- Garnish with chopped coriander / cilantro / parsley leaves.
- Squeeze lemon juice and serve hot.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Mexican