Microwave Vegetable Pulao
Follow the recipe for microwave vegetable pulao to make a quick & aromatic one pot meal!
Today’s microwave vegetable pulao recipe is sponsored by Best Foods Inc. – makers of premium quality Basmati Rice.
I am a rice-a-holic. I eat some kind of a rice dish for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Be it some soft rice idlis to kick of the day or a simple curd rice to end the day, rice is a major component of my diet. I do have a post on how I cook my rice in the pressure cooker. More often than not, it is the tool we use to cook everything from rice, potatoes and even beans!
However, once in a while, I like to put my Microwave to good use. And whenever I do, I like to cook Pulao in it! Only because I can! 😉 And because the texture of the rice is fluffy and wonderful when cooked in the microwave!
It is not much different than making it in a pressure cooker or a pan. If you own nothing but a microwave, then you would love this recipe since you’re essentially making everything in one microwave pan.
Microwave Vegetable Pulao – Printable RecipePrint
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup Sliced Onions
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, green Beans, Bell Peppers, Cauliflower, Corn, Peas etc.)
- 2 Green Chilli, split in the center (remove seeds for less spicy version)
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 3–4 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Salt (adjust to suit taste)
- 1.5 cups Water *
Note – Water – Usually you will have to use a bit more water while cooking in the microwave. So whatever you use to cook your rice in the pan, use around 1/4 cup more in microwave
- Wash the rice extremely well. If you have the time, soak for 30 minutes. Drain and set the rice aside.
- Heat oil in microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, green chilli, ginger, garlic & mix well. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes until the spices start to get aromatic.
- Add the onions & mixed vegetables and mix well. Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until the onions have turned translucent and the vegetables have softened a bit.
- Add the drained out rice and salt and mix well. Microwave for 2 minutes for the rice to dry out a bit.
- Add the water and mix well. At this point, you can taste to check for seasoning and add more salt if required.
- Microwave for 12-15 minutes on full power. Once or twice, stop; remove the bowl, mix everything with a fork and continue to cook.
- Once the rice is cooked, give one final mix up with a fork and enjoy hot pulao!
Microwaving on Full Power – if you have a simple Microwave with no power options, you can simply set the time & cook.
Microwave Vegetable Pulao – step by step recipe
Heat the oil for 2 minutes in a microwave safe bowl. Add the dry spices, cumin seeds, green chilli, ginger & garlic. Microwave for another 2 minutes till the spices leave an aroma. Mix well.
Add the veggies, mix well and microwave for about 2 minutes. The onions & carrots will turn slightly translucent.
Add the washed & drained rice and mix well. Also add the salt and mix well.
Add enough water and microwave for 15 minutes. Once or twice, open, mix everything with a fork and continue to cook.
There you go! Hot microwave vegetable pulao ready in under 30 minutes!