- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup Sliced Onions
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, green Beans, Bell Peppers, Cauliflower, Corn, Peas etc.)
- 2 Green Chilli, split in the center (remove seeds for less spicy version)
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 3–4 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Salt (adjust to suit taste)
- 1.5 cups Water *
Note – Water – Usually you will have to use a bit more water while cooking in the microwave. So whatever you use to cook your rice in the pan, use around 1/4 cup more in microwave
- Wash the rice extremely well. If you have the time, soak for 30 minutes. Drain and set the rice aside.
- Heat oil in microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, green chilli, ginger, garlic & mix well. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes until the spices start to get aromatic.
- Add the onions & mixed vegetables and mix well. Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until the onions have turned translucent and the vegetables have softened a bit.
- Add the drained out rice and salt and mix well. Microwave for 2 minutes for the rice to dry out a bit.
- Add the water and mix well. At this point, you can taste to check for seasoning and add more salt if required.
- Microwave for 12-15 minutes on full power. Once or twice, stop; remove the bowl, mix everything with a fork and continue to cook.
- Once the rice is cooked, give one final mix up with a fork and enjoy hot pulao!