Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
Eggless Molten Chocolate Lava Cake to celebrate the 4 year anniversary of Foodomania.com!
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake is one of my favorite desserts. I thought it would be apt to post something special today, for it is the 4th anniversary of Foodomania. Yep, I officially launched this website on August 1st, 2012. In the past 4 years, I’ve been able to post 500+ recipes with step by step pictures, build a community of food lovers and see my blog grow into a mildly popular food brand. I am grateful to have found a hobby that I’m so passionate about and that lets me be creative.
This recipe for Molten Chocolate Lava Cake is eggless – obviously – and simple. Eggs are what usually provide the molten center to the lava cakes. But with some careful substitutions in the ingredients and baking time and temperature, you can bake yourself an equally good chocolate cake with a molten center. In the recipe, I cheat by adding chocolate chips in the center to give an additional molten center. But because the end product is so tasty, I think a couple shortcuts and cheats are warranted. So, here’s how to make the eggless molten chocolate lava cake in under 15 minutes –
P.S: I also registered for a trademark last year. I’m finally sharing it with y’all. Do let me know your thoughts.
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake – Printable RecipePrint
Eggless Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 Tablespoon Powdered Sugar (adjust for sweetness)
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking Soda
- a pinch of Salt (skip if using unsalted butter)
- a pinch of Instant Espresso Powder (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon plain Yogurt or Sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Milk or Water (to loosen the batter, if necessary)
- Chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- Ramekins or Cupcake molds lined with liners
- Grease the ramekins / cupcake molds with oil or butter. Preheat oven to 150 C (reduce to 140 C if using convection oven)
- Sift together all the dry ingredients – flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder and mix well.
- Add the yogurt, butter, oil and vanilla extract and mix well. If the batter is too thick or lumpy, add a couple teaspoons of milk or water to loosen it out.
- Add 1 tablespoon batter to each ramekin. Add some chocolate chips or chunks in the center. Cover with 1-2 tablespoons more batter. The ramekins / molds should be filled only up to 3/4th of their size.
- Bake at 150 C for 8-10 minutes. Usually, tiny cupcakes such as these would take 12-15 minutes to bake. Since you are looking for a molten center, you will be cooking 2-5 minutes less, depending on your oven. Keep an eye out from the 8th minute onwards.
- Remove and serve warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake – Step by step pictures
Sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, espresso powder, baking soda and baking powder and mix well.
Add melted butter, oil, yogurt / sour cream, milk and mix to form a smooth, lump-free batter. Taste and adjust for sweetness, if required.
Add 1 tablespoon batter onto the ramekin, add some chocolate chips, cover with more batter. Tap the ramekin gently to even out the level.
Bake at 150 C for 8-9 minutes. You are looking for a molten center, so bake 2-4 minutes lesser than a regular cake.
For regular updates subscribe via Email or follow on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram!