Radish or Mooli Paratha with step by step photos
- 1 Medium Radish without the leaves. (Mooli)
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour (Gehun ka atta)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric (Haldi) Powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Roasted Cumin (Jeera) Powder
- 1 teaspoon Grated Ginger
- 3–4 Tablespooons Chopped Coriander or Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon plain Yogurt (Curd)
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/3 cup Water (adjust as required)
- Oil or Ghee for cooking the mooli parathas
For serving (optional)
- Plain Yogurt (Curd)
- Use any combination of spices you like. This is just how it is commonly prepared. If you want more spice, add them
- Grate the mooli/radish using a cheese grater (or anything that will give you tiny stripes of the radish). If you were to make stuffing, then you should squeeze out the water. But since we’re including in the dough, it isn’t necessary.
- Add ALL the mentioned ingredients (except water and oil) to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Slowly add water (start off with 1/4 cup and keep increasing if you feel you need more. Keep mixing the dough with your hands or in a mixer until it comes together.
- Add the oil and knead the dough for 5-8 minutes or until you have a smooth dough.
- Make equal sized balls from the dough. Cover and let them rest for 30 minutes at least. (If you’re resting more than 30 minutes, rest them in the refrigerator)
- On a rolling surface, add some flour and place a ball of dough. Roll it out to a thin Paratha. Use flour to prevent the dough from sticking to the surface. Try to roll out as thinly as you possibly can (or you could also use a tortilla maker)
- Place the prepared Paratha on a hot tava (flat pan) and let it cook on one side on medium heat for 1-2 minutes. It will start puffing up.
- Flip the paratha and continue to cook. Add 1 teaspoon Oil or Ghee all around the paratha and press well. Cook until you see light golden brown spots on both sides.
- Serve hot with a spoon of butter on top (optional). You can have these as is or with any side of your choice.
- You can prepare them well ahead of time and store in an air tight box. Reheat before serving. They stay well in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Indian