Mujadara (mujaddara) is an authentic Middle-Eastern dish of lentils and rice garnished with crispy onions. Get recipe for this vegetarian dish here!
- 1/3 cup Brown Lentils
- 1/2 cup Long-Grained White Basmati Rice
- 3 Large Onions
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin (or Black Pepper)
- 2 Green Chili (optional – not used traditionally)
- 1–2 cups Water (adjust as required)
Making Caramelized Onions
- Slice Onions to thin, long pieces
- In a large pan, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil
- Add the onions & mix. Fry slowly on low flame, stirring regularly to avoid burning
- The onions will start to sweat after 3-5 minutes on low flame
- Continue to fry on medium to low flame for 15-30 minutes until the onions start to caramelize and turn crispy brown
- Add a pinch of salt to flavor the onions, mix well and switch the flame off. Set aside and use as required
Cooking the Rice & Lentils
- Wash the lentils well. Soak the lentils in water for 30 minutes (or upto overnight). This is optional, but helps speeden the cooking process. Then discard the water.
- To a large pan with high sides, add the lentils and water (for 1 cup of lentils, use 1.5-3 cups of water). Add the green chilli pieces and mix well. Bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer, cover and cook on medium flame for 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender
- Meanwhile, rinse the rice well and set aside
- Remove the water to a container (do not discard them yet). Discard the green chilies.
- Add the rinsed rice to the lentils. Add the salt, cumin powder and mix well.
- Now, add 1.5 cups of water (use water from lentils or fresh water) and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, simmer and cover the pan with a lid. Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked.
- Gently fluff up the rice to mix the spices, without breaking them up
Serving the Mujadara
- Add the cooked rice and lentils to a serving bowl. Garnish with crispy caramelized onions and mint and serve hot!
- You can also serve this with some fresh yogurt (soy yogurt, if you’re vegan!) and some fresh crunchy salad!
- Category: Main
- Method: Skillet Cooking
- Cuisine: Middle-Eastern (Lebanese)
Keywords: mujadara, mujadarrah, mujadara recipe, middle-eastern pilaf, vegetarian mujadara