- 1 kg (5 cups) Ragi (Finger Millet)
- 1/4 kg (1 and 1/ cups) Green Mung Beans
- 1/4 kg Wholewheat grains
- 1/4 kg Garbazo / Chickpea (Chole)
- 1/4 kg Soybeans
- 1/4 kg Pottu Kadali (Roasted Chana Dal)
- 1/4 kg Boiled Rice (Puzhungu Arisi)
- 200 grams (1 cup ) Almonds
- 200 grams (1 cup) Cashew Nuts
- 200 grams (1 cup) Peanuts
- 300 grams (3/4 cup) Pearl Tapioca / Sago (Sabudana)
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) Cardamom pods (Elaichi)
- * 1 cup is 200 grams
For the Porridge
- 1 Tablespoon Kanji powder
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar (adjust to your taste)
- 1/ cup Milk (Or more to have diluted version of the porridge)
For the Protein Kanji Powder
- Add each ingredient to the skillet and dry roast it on high heat for 4-5 minutes or until a nice aroma starts to come. You must roast them separately.
- Add all roasted ingredients to a large container and mix well
- If you have a powder grinder / spice blender, you can add the mix in batches and grind to a smooth super fine powder. Else, you can take it to a nearby mill / spice grinder who can do it for you
- Store in air tight container and use as required
For making the Porridge
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of this super powder to water and mix well
- On medium flame, cook the mixture by constantly stirring it. Within 4-5 minutes the mixture will start thickening.
- To thick mixture, add sugar and mix well. As the sugar starts to dissolve, the mixture will again start to loosen up a bit. Switch off the flame.
- Add warm milk and mix well.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy warm!
- You must not roast them together as each ingredient may take different time to give out the aroma and by roasting together – you may either end up burning or under-roasting one of them.
- It isn’t necessary that you use ALL of the ingredients mentioned in the ingredients list or use them in the exact proportion mentioned. You can certainly make your own blend. However, do keep the Pearl Tapioca (Sago) which helps to thicken the porridge.
- You can also make a salty version of the porridge by