Natural Red Velvet Cupcakes
Healthy, eggless and easy to make Natural Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe
The idea of using Beetroot for the “red” in red velvet cake has been around for quite sometime now. After my moist carrot cake stint, I was only too happy to try my hand at yet another sweet bake with a vegetable. You can of course leave out the beet puree and use organic edible red color if you aren’t a big fan of Beets.
Speaking of Red Velvet Cake, you’ve got to have some cream cheese frosting to go with it! I just happen to have an easy tutorial on how to make Cream Cheese frosting at home – with very few ingredients! Feel free to skip it too, but C’mon – you know it’s a classic combination!
So here’s how you make “Natural Red Velvet Cupcakes”… or Chocolate Beet Cake, if you must! 🙂
(For step by step pictures, scroll down below)Print
- 3/4 cup Beetroot Puree (*See note below)
- 1 and 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 4–5 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon plain Vinegar
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar (adjust for taste)
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting – optional
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces / 100 grams) Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 1/5 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Icing Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
Making the Beetroot Puree
- Wash 2 small or 1 large beetroot well. Boil them (unpeeled) for 10 minutes or until they are tender. Let them cool. Peel the skin and grind to a smooth paste. Boiling them ensures you get maximum color from the Beetroot. However, you can also simply use unboiled Beet puree as well
Method for the Cupcake
- Preheat oven to 170 C (For convection oven, preheat to 150 or 160 C). Line your cupcake molds with liners
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder & baking soda. Set aside
- To the milk, add vinegar and let it rest for 5 minutes. You’ll start to see the milk curdling (this is kind of like the substitute for buttermilk)
- To the milk, add vegetable oil, vanilla, powdered sugar & mix well.
- Add the beet puree and mix well.
- Add in the flour mixture and fold it into wet mixture till you have a smooth cake batter. Do not over mix or your cupcakes will become dense.
- Fill each cupcake mold 3/4th full with the batter. Bake at 170 C for 25-30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean without leaving any wet batter. (For mini cupcakes, it should take around 20-25 minutes). Let the cupcakes cool completely.
For the cream cheese frosting – optional
- Beat all the ingredients together with an electric mixer or stand mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Fill the frosting in a piping bag and frost cupcakes or simply slather it on the cupcakes with a spoon
(For mini cupcakes)
In case you don’t want to use Beet puree, you can always use red edible food coloring. Make sure you use organic color for healthier version.
Natural Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe – step by step pictures
Make your beet puree
Sift together flour, coco, baking powder, baking soda & salt
To milk, add vinegar and mix. Let it rest for 5 minutes for it to curdle.
Add oil, vanilla, sugar and mix well till sugar dissolves
Add beet puree and mix well. (in case you are using red color instead of beet puree, add that here)
Add the flour mixture and mix till you have a smooth batter
Add to the cupcake molds.
Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let it cool completely. Slather some homemade cream cheese frosting if you want and enjoy!