Onion Tomato Chutney
A fast, fresh & easy recipe for the delicious South Indian Onion Tomato Chutney; perfect as a condiment for almost any recipe!
Thiiiiiiis is my heaven.
Even thinking about this simplicity makes me drool. It is such a perfect accompaniment to sooooo many of my favorite South Indian dishes! Without this chutney, I’m pretty sure those dishes would taste ordinary. This is what makes them extraordinary.
With the slight sourness from the tomato and pungency from the onions combined with classic South Indian flavorings, this onion tomato chutney; or as we all call it – the Red Chutney is a really useful condiment to make and store in your refrigerator!
- 1 cup Onions, chopped
- 4 medium Tomatoes, chopped to cubes
- 2 Green Chilli, finely chopped (skip for less spicy version)
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated Ginger
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon Salt (adjust for salt)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal (split black gram)
- 1 tablespoon Curry Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (adjust for spice level desired)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- In a pan with high sides / wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic & ginger and fry for few seconds. Then add chopped onions, tomatoes & green chilli. Fry for 4-5 minutes or until onions are translucent and tomatoes have reduced a little.
- Switch off flame. Let it cool a bit. Add to a blender / mixer along with the salt. Grind to a coarse paste and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon Oil. Add mustard seeds. Once that splutters, add Urad dal and fry till light brown. Add turmeric powder & curry leaves and fry for 10 seconds.
- Add the ground onion tomato to the pan and mix well. Let it cook on medium heat, stirring occasional to avoid burning for 5-8 minutes. You’ll start to see it turning a deeper red color. Once the paste has reduced, add red chilli powder and mix well. Taste & adjust for seasonings. Cook for final 2-3 minutes. Switch off.
- Let it cool completely. Store in air tight container up to 7 days
South Indian Onion Tomato Chutney – step by step pictures
You’ll need –
Heat oil in a pan with high sides. Fry ginger & garlic for 10 seconds and add the chilli, onion & tomatoes. Let them fry for 4-5 minutes or until the tomatoes have reduced a little and onions turn light brown
Let it cool a bit and add to a blender / mixer along with salt. Grind to a coarse paste
In the same pan, heat some more oil. Add the mustard seeds. Once that splutters, add urad dal, curry leaves and turmeric powder. Let it fry for a few seconds. Add the tomato onion paste and mix well. Let it cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until the color starts turning to a deeper red. Add the red chilli powder & mix well. Cook for final 2-3 minutes
Let it cool completely. Store in air tight jar. Serve along with Idli, Dosa, Pesarattu or even Rotis
Other darn good chutneys you must check out —>