Oreo Owl Cupcake
Intensely chocolaty and moist Oreo Owl Cupcakes are the cutest way to celebrate a festival like Halloween! Or you could just make ’em this way all the time! 🙂
Oreos and Chocolate in a Cupcake can only mean that cupcake is going to be the most popular cupcake in the history of cupcakes. Am I Right or am I Right? 😉
I’m lately obsessed with finding simple tweaks that could change the way we look at food! Take this chocolate cake for example. Can you tell that this is nothing but a simple chocolate sponge cake? Doesn’t the addition of a bit of powdered sugar just take it up a notch?
A somewhat similar experiment led to the discovery of my Oreo Owl Cupcake. Bake dark chocolate cupcakes. Dip them in chocolate ganache. Break off some Oreo cookies and stick them onto the cupcake. Dip M&M / Gems / similar round candies in chocolate ganache and place them for eyes. Congratulations. You just made an Oreo Owl Cupcake – or a few dozen of them!
I intended for it to be scary, but it turned out cute! And one of my recipe-tasters even remarked that it looks like a bunny. But I think they look like owls. What do you think?
Oreo Owl Cupcake Recipe – Printable OptionPrint
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder (if you don’t want a darker cupcake, reduce the amount)
- 2/3 cup Powdered Sugar (adjust for sweetness)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- a pinch of Salt
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk (Or 1/2 cup Yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup water)
For the decoration
- Chocolate Frosting (Ganache, Fudge, Etc.)
- Oreo Cookies (preferably with vanilla cream)
- M&M candies / Gems / Other round flat candies
- Melted Chocolate – optional
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- Mix all the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder
- Add the oil & buttermilk and mix to form a smooth batter
- Fill 3/4th of the cupcake molds. Bake at 160 C for 30 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely
To decorate an Oreo Owl Cupcake
- Open up a few Oreo cookies carefully.
- Dip the Chocolate cupcake in chocolate ganache / other chocolate frosting
- Place the 2 of the cream part of the Oreo Cookies on the top end of the cupcakes. These form the EYES for the owl
- Break the non-cream part of the Oreo cookies to resemble wings. Gently press 2 of the wings on top of the eyes.
- Dip the M&M / gems in Chocolate frosting / melted chocolate and place on the bottom center of the cream part of the EYES.
- Press one M&M in the middle of the cupcake to represent a NOSE.
- Chill the cupcakes for at least 20 minutes to set them
Oreo Owl Cupcake Recipe – Step by Step
Mix dry ingredients and add the oil & buttermilk
Mix to form a smooth batter
Add to cupcake molds & bake for 30 minutes at 160 C.
Dip each cupcake in Chocolate Ganache or apply some fudge frosting. Place 2 Oreo Cookies and place them for eyes. (I got the chocolate oroes. Try to get vanilla instead)
Dip 2 M&M or Gems in Chocolate Ganache / Melted Chocolate and place it on the Oreo cream for eyes. Place another similar one for nose (do not dip in chocolate for nose)
Chill them for at least 20 minutes for everything to set. Enjoy!