Paruppu Podi – Spicy Lentil Chutney Powder
Paruppu Podi with Hot Rice and a hint of Ghee is a wholesome meal.
Paruppu podi is a spicy lentil-based chutney powder eaten with hot rice and a hint of ghee. Paruppu literally translates to lentil and Podi is powder. Blends like this, Curry Leaves Powder and Milagai Podi come in handy when you are pressed for time or are in no mood to cook. All you have to do is cook some rice / reheat leftover rice, add a dash of Ghee (optional) and as much or as little of this chutney powder, mix and eat!
You can adjust the blend to suit your taste-buds. This is my Ma’s recipe.
Paruppu Podi – Printable RecipePrint
spicy blend of flavors
- 1 cup Toor Dal (split)
- 1 dry Red Chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
Note – on lentils
- You can use a mix of your favorite split lentils. Some people also use Chana Dal. Adjust chilli & salt accordingly
- Dry roast the Lentils (Dal) on medium flame for 3-4 minutes or until the lentils turn golden brown and start to emit a nice aroma
- Heat oil and add all the ingredients and fry all the ingredients for 3-4 minutes until they turn light brown. Switch off and allow them to cool.
- Grind to a smooth powder. Taste and adjust seasoning, as required.
- Store at room temperature in an air tight container.
- This stays well for 1 month, after which it loses it freshness.
- To hot rice, add a dash of ghee and this powder (as much as you want). Mix and eat with papad.
- Category: chutney
- Cuisine: South Indian