spicy blend of flavors
- 1 cup Toor Dal (split)
- 1 dry Red Chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
Note – on lentils
- You can use a mix of your favorite split lentils. Some people also use Chana Dal. Adjust chilli & salt accordingly
- Dry roast the Lentils (Dal) on medium flame for 3-4 minutes or until the lentils turn golden brown and start to emit a nice aroma
- Heat oil and add all the ingredients and fry all the ingredients for 3-4 minutes until they turn light brown. Switch off and allow them to cool.
- Grind to a smooth powder. Taste and adjust seasoning, as required.
- Store at room temperature in an air tight container.
- This stays well for 1 month, after which it loses it freshness.
- To hot rice, add a dash of ghee and this powder (as much as you want). Mix and eat with papad.
- Category: chutney
- Cuisine: South Indian