A fresh salad from Mexico
Note – Pico de gallo is the kind of dish that really isn’t well-suited for a recipe. All the ingredients used in pico de gallo will vary widely in size, flavor, intensity, and water content from day to day, region to region, in and out of season. Depending on where you’re from and your taste preferences, feel free to alter the amount of ingredients mentioned in this recipe
- 1/2 cup finely diced Onions
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1/2 – 1 lime (as per taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers / 1-2 Tablespoons minced (adjust to taste)
- 4 plum Tomatoes, diced finely (makes 2 cups approximately)
- 1/2 cup chopped Cilantro or Coriander Leaves
- Finely chop the onion and place it in a small bowl.
- Using a microplane, grate the garlic into the bowl (or use a garlic press or very finely chop it with a knife.)
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Taste and adjust for seasoning, if required.
- Cover and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours, to let the flavors seep in.
- Serve as desired.
- As the salsa sits longer, it will start releasing water. You can consume it, or discard it.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mexican