- 8 medium ripe Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For the Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Olive oil
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Hot pepper flakes or minced chili
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Basil
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- a pinch of Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to taste)
- Chopped Parsley
- 1.1lb / 500 grams Pasta (preferably Penne)
- Chopped Parsley
- 2 cups of Grilled Veggies / Chicken / Turkey / Bacon etc – optional
- Cheese – optional
Use Vegetable Oil as a substitute to Olive Oil and Cilantro as a substitute to Parsley
Roast the Tomato
- Heat the oven to 350°F and line a baking dish with aluminum foil. (Note: This step is optional, but it will make cleanup faster.) Oil the foil.
- Chop the tomatoes roughly but evenly & add to the pan. Add some salt and oil and toss the tomatoes well. Spread them in the baking pan.
- Bake the tomatoes for 45 minutes – 2 hours.
- Depending on how roasted you want them to get – you can bake them until the tomatoes simple begin to break down and release their juices. Or you can continue baking until their edges blacken, and the juices are reduced significantly. Every 20 minutes, remove the pan toss well, spread out and return it to the oven.
If you want a chunky sauce, you don’t even have to do the following steps. You can serve the pasta with the roasted tomatoes from the above steps. Just add the seasonings while roasting the tomatoes.
For a smooth sauce
- Add the roasted tomatoes with the remaining oil, garlic to a blender and grind to a coarse paste.
- Heat some olive oil and add hot pepper flakes and the tomato paste. Stir and fry for 3-4 minutes on medium low heat.
- Add a bit of water to loosen the sauce up and season with oregano, basil, ground black pepper, sugar and salt, if required.
- Once the sauce has reduced, you can also add a splash of milk or cream. – optional. (skip for vegan version)
Assembling the Pasta with Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add salt generously and cook the pasta till it is al dente. Drain the water and reserve the pasta.
- If you want, you can serve the pasta with grilled veggies, chicken, turkey, bacon etc.
- Add the sauce and grilled veggies to the pasta. Mix well. Garnish with some chopped parsley and serve fresh and hot.