Roasted Veggie Empanadas
Classic Mexican style Roasted Veggie Empanadas! Deep Fried Goodness in a bundle of pizza dough!
Have you ever deep fried Pizza dough?
If you haven’t – please just DO!
A little while ago, I compiled recipes for Cinco de Mayo. It was mostly Mexican and Spanish recipes. Empanadas happens to be a Mexican delicacy – wherein pizza dough is stuffed with various filled and folded like a calzone and deep fried! One could easily mistake an empanada for a calzone because they are shaped similarly. The minute differences may arise in the flavors of the filling. But here’s how I made mine –
- 1 pound Pizza Dough * (Refer recipe below)
- 2 cups of finely chopped mixed vegetables
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2–3 Tablespoons Oil (for Roasting the veggies)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Mexican spices (cumin, oregano, chilli)
- Oil, to deep fry
- In a mixing bowl, add all veggies. Add 2-3 tablespoons of oil and mix well. Add the same to a baking dish. Bake at 180C for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove, add salt, pepper and other seasonings and mix. Set aside to cool.
Shaping Empanadas – similar like calzones
- Divide dough into equal sized balls. Roll each ball of dough into a flat disk. Add some of the filling on one half of the disk.
- Lift up the free half and fold over the filling. With your finger, seal the edges. Stretch the edges and fold them inside. Use a fork to press all around the edges to give more definition.
- Let the empanadas rest for 15-20 minutes. They will have puffed up in size.
Frying / Baking
- FOR FRYING – Heat oil in a pan with high sides. Add a small piece of dough. If it fries up instantly, the oil is hot enough. Gently slide the empanadas into the oil. Don’t overcrowd the pan. Fry on medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- FOR BAKING – Grease a baking dish and place the empanadas on the dish. Brush the top with oil. Bake at preheat oven 200 C for 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- Serve with your favorite condiment
Roasted Veggie Empanadas – Step by step pictures
You can make your own pizza dough or just use store bought pizza dough.
By pre-roasting the veggies, I was able to get a nice caramelization to the veggies that I believe tastes really good. It is really simple. Use up any veggies you have leftover in the fridge. Chop them however you desire (preferably small) and dump them into the roasting dish. Add oil and mix. Bake for 10-14 minutes till the veggies are roasted well. (I decided to caramelize onions on the stove and add to the veggie mixture later. However, it is not necessary to do so)
Take a ball of dough and roll to a flat, thin disk.
Add some of the filling to one half of the circle. Pick up the other half and fold it over the filling.
With your fingers, seal the empanada. You can also pick up the edges and fold it in. Use a fork to give more definition.
Gently drop each empanada into hot oil. Deep fry on both sides on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove on a platter lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil. Serve with your favorite condiment!
Other breads you should try next –
Nacho Bread Rolls