Rocky Road Cupcakes
Easy to bake rocky road cupcakes – simple eggless chocolate cupcakes topped off with marshmallows, more chocolate and nuts!
Sometimes, I wonder if I will ever tire of chocolate. My love for chocolate and the giddiness it causes me is real. And I ain’t ashamed to admit it. My face lights up when I see / eat / smell chocolate. Too embarrassing? Probably.
But the truth is – chocolate makes my soul sing. And the more I get to work with chocolate, the chirpier and happier I get. So here’s another late-night baking experiment done right.
Rocky Road Cupcakes.
Chocolate, Nuts and Marshmallows come together in a simple eggless chocolate cupcake base. The texture rendered by roasted marshmallows, crunchy nuts and tempered chocolate is what makes this cupcake “rocky”. And hence the name – “rocky road”.
Rocky Road Cupcakes – Printable RecipePrint
Eggless Rocky Road Cupcakes with chocolate, marshmallows and nuts
For the chocolate cupake
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder (adjust as per intensity of chocolate flavor required)
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar (adjust to taste)
- a pinch of Salt
- a pinch of Instant Espresso Powder (or 2 teaspoons Coffee) – optional
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1/2 cup chopped Nuts (any or a mixture of Almonds, Walnuts, Pistachios, Cashew etc)
- 1/2 cup chopped or mini Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Chopped Chocolate
Note – If you’re a Vegetarian or Vegan, use Vegan Marshmallows.
- Preheat oven to 160 C / 325 F. (Reduce to 140 or 150 C if using convection oven) Line cupcake mold with liners.
- Mix together the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, espresso powder, baking powder and baking soda – well. Set aside.
- Mix together yogurt, oil, vanilla extract and melted butter.
- Sift in the dry ingredients. Gently mix to form a smooth, lump-free batter.
- Add half of the marshmallows, chocolate and nuts and mix well to distribute evenly.
- Scoop out the cake batter into the cupcake mold. Bake for 25 minutes at 160 C.
- Remove the cupcakes, top them with marshmallow and chocolate. Bake for another 5-7 minutes until the chocolate starts to melt and the marshmallows start to roast.
- Let them cool for a bit; unmold and enjoy.
- Have them warm or at room temperature.
- To store, place in an air tight box and store in the fridge. Before eating, warm it up slightly
- Category: cupcake
- Cuisine: American
Rocky Road Cupcakes Recipe – Step By Step Pictures
You’ll be using –
Mix together buttermilk, melted butter, oil, vanilla extract well.
Sift in the dry ingredients and mix to form a smooth batter. Do not over mix
Add chopped chocolate, marshmallow and nuts. Gently fold them into the batter.
Scoop out onto cupcake molds and bake for 30 minutes at 160 C. Add some chocolate and marshmallows on top of the cupcakes and bake for another 5 minutes
You need to bake until the marshmallows have developed a light golden color. Let it cool a bit
Enjoy at room temperature or warm.
More cupcake recipes for you –