- 1 cup Grated Coconut (Fresh or thawed)
- 1/2 cup Roasted Grams / Roasted Chana dal (pottu kadalai / dalia/ bhunna channa)
- 2–3 Green Chilli, slit lengthwise / roughly cut
- 1 tsp Hing (Asafetida powder) (optional)
- 1 tsp Salt (adjust to taste)
- a pinch of sugar
- 2–3 Tbsp Coriander leaves, for garnish
- 1–2 tsp black mustard seeds (rai / kadugu)
- 2–3 TBsp washed Curry Leaves
- 1–2 tsp Vegetable oil
- The ratio of coconut to Chana Dal may differ from recipe to recipe. You can keep trying various ratios until you are satisfied with the chutney. This is however my version.
- In a wok, heat about a teaspoon of vegetable oil & sauté the green chillies (slit in the middle) for 1 minute. This step is optional.
- To a blender / food processor – add ALL the ingredients (except the ones for tempering) and a bit of water and grind to desired consistency. Do not blend too much into a paste. You should be able to see & feel the coconut pieces while eating. I’d say a coarse texture is the best.
For the tempering
- heat oil on a pan & add mustard seeds.
- When it starts to crackle, add the curry leaves & switch off the flame.
- Add this to the chutney & mix well. You can also garnish the chutney with coriander / parsley / cilantro leaves.
- Serve with any kind of South Indian snacks.