Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
These are the fluffiest vegan blueberry pancakes I’ve ever had – a 100% plant-based! This recipe is easy to put together and is the perfect Sunday brunch with maple syrup.
Vegan Blueberry Pancakes made with basic ingredients and aquafaba are quite possibly the fluffiest pancakes I’ve had in a while. You can use the basic pancake recipe to switch things up and make any kind you like. But if I had to choose one favorite kind, it’d have to be blueberries, followed by chocolate chips.
I’ve made pancakes before, and while you can certainly make a good one without eggs, I’ve been experimenting with different combinations and egg-replacements to nail that fluff. This recipe is dairy-free and egg-free, and trust me, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.
How to make Vegan Blueberry Pancakes?
The batter is pretty straightforward. All you need are: flour, sugar, a pinch of salt, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, baking powder and baking soda. The baking powder and vinegar react together to give to the light and airy texture quintessential of a pancake.
Now, if you want to take these pancakes to the next level of fluff, then the magic ingredient is aquafaba – the liquid leftover from cooking chickpeas (garbanzo beans / chole). This liquid has a lot of protein, and when whipped with a pinch of cream of tartar, it resembles whipped egg whites. This adds airiness and fluffiness to the pancakes and I highly recommend not skipping this step.
Some other tips to make these Vegan Pancakes –
- Do not overmix the batter – one of the most important tips while making any kind of cake of pancake is to work the batter as little as possible. You still need to mix to get a smooth batter, but over-mixing will lead to gluten development and make the pancakes chewy.
- Once you add the whipped aquafaba, do not mix furiously, or you’ll lose all the air. Use the cut and fold method to fold the aquafaba into the batter gently
- Use a small nonstick pan to cook the pan, and don’t spread it too thin. Cover the pan to accelerate the cooking process. Wait for bubbles to show up on top of the pancakes, and then flip
- To keep the pancakes warm, place them in the oven (at the lowest possible temperature) while you continue to cook the rest of the pancakes.
Here’s a video on how to make these vegan pancakes –
Vegan Blueberry Pancakes – Printable Recipe:Print
These are the fluffiest vegan pancakes you’ll ever make! Spruce them up with blueberries, chocolate chips or anything you like.
- 1/2 cup cold Aquafaba *
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/3 cup fine Sugar (adjust for sweetness)
- 2 TBsp neutral Vegetable Oil
- 1 TBsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup plain Vegan Yogurt
- Butter, for cooking the pancakes
- 2 cups Fresh Blueberries
- Maple Syrup
- Vegan Whipped Cream
AQUAFABA: This adds an extra airiness to the pancakes, but the pancakes will also be soft & fluffy without
- Pour the cold aquafaba and cream of tartar to a clean bowl. Use an electric whisk and whip until the liquid turns into stiff peaks
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well
- Then add the oil, vinegar, plain vegan yogurt, vanilla extract and mix until you have a smooth batter
- Add the whipped aquafaba and gently fold into the batter
- Heat some butter in a pan, pour a ladle of the batter onto the pan
- Add some blueberries on the pancake
- Cover and cook on medium heat for a couple minutes
- Once bubbles start to form on top of the pancake, flip and cook for a few minutes
- Remove onto a plate, stack as many pancakes as you want
- Drizzle some maple syrup and add whipped cream & serve!
Tip: to keep the pancakes warm, place them in the oven at lowest temperature as you continue to cook rest of the pancakes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan pancakes, vegan blueberry pancakes, blueberry pancakes recipe
Thank you for reading! If you do try out our Vegan Blueberry Pancakes recipe, do let us know by leaving a comment below!